Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Santa


The first Christmas Koki and I had together we bought our Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. I was actually the grinch that year and told him we didn't need one. We weren't going to be home on Christmas Day and it was just a waste of money. But when we went out on Christmas Eve and the trees were 50% off I gave in to my husband's holiday request. Now don't get all crazy on me. This was 6 years ago. Things have thankfully changed.

This year I was the one riding my husband to hurry and get the tree out and our lights up. It's really fun to celebrate the holidays and establish traditions with kids. Koki and I have tried to take some of both families traditions and make our own. Some things still need tweaking but for the most part I think we're on the right road. Last night we had a conversation about Santa. We have been watching tons and tons of Christmas movies all month (a tradition from Koki's family) and Gideon is really starting to be aware of Santa. I love the idea of Santa I think it's great BUT when Gideon is starting to say," Oh,we don't do that because Jesus, Heavenly Father, and SANTA don't want us to?" I'd rather stick with teaching him to follow Jesus not necessarily Santa.
Am I over thinking this? It really could be a simple thing for my four year old and wanting to follow Santa isn't bad it's just that I'd rather him have Jesus be his main example. I'm a mess. I want him to have fun with the Santa thing too. What to do? I know it really doesn't need to be this complicated. I guess I have a talent for making simple things become a catastrophe. Okay now I am just giving myself a headache. Am I making sense to anyone? I promise my future blogs won't be this hard to follow.

9 comments:

Cline said...

I’m not a promoter of Santa or a destroyer of Santa either. I let my kids believe what they wanted to and followed their lead. And when they they’re ready for the truth they ask. Joseph asked me this year if Santa was a job and I told him yes and left it at that. I think Gideon would benefit from the book I believe in Santa Clause by Diane Adamson. This book draws the similarities of Santa with our Savior and one of my favorites in keeping things clear.

Tiffany said...

You are too funny! I am sure you guys are doing a great job in keeping with the true spirit of Christmas! Good luck!

Cindi said...

I just think it's unfair that Santa brings the cool presents and Mom and Dad get stuck giving the socks and the underwear. One day I might just have to reverse the trend. :)

Kawa Rangers said...

I don't even know what to tell you. We have been dealing with the same sort of problem. I hate how Santa is a bigger part of Christmas that christ. We're working on it, so I'll let you know later if I have anything that works.

Ruth Done said...

I know exactly what you mean! It must be the age. I believe that the spirit of Christ and the spirit of Santa can easily go hand in hand. It is a tough one to teach, but they are slowly getting it.

Elissa said...

Hey girl! Email me your address, I need it! Thanks! :)

The Smiths said...

I like my kids having good examples in their lives- people they can look up to. Family, friends, primary teachers, church leaders, etc. I think Santa can be one of those good examples, too. I agree that the Saviour should be our main example and other "good people" who follow Him.

It's a good sign that Gideon listed Heavenly Father and Jesus before Santa. :)

Jessica Sandberg said...

I know exactly what you mean. I, like Rie4Sunflowers, don't really promote Santa, but I don't discourage the belief in him. Kai is more aware this year than last and it's been on his own. He made a list for Santa. But I don't really talk up Santa too much. I'd rather focus on the birth of Christ and when he talks about presents from Santa, I try to talk about the real reason for gifts. I hope you guys have a beautiful Christmas. Love ya!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Sounds like something Connor would say! He is obsessed with Santa & pleasing Santa so that he can be on the "good kid list". The things kids will do for toys! ;)