Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy Presiden't Day! Will You Be My Valentine?

When Koki and I first started dating he was always doing really sweet things for me. On our first Valentine's Date he left roses in my car. He would send me notes when I went on vacation and homemade CD's of music that we both liked. I remember one time he was going to take me on a really nice date. He mentioned that he wanted to take me to The Roof up by Temple Square and I told him to not waste his money and that $25/person was outrageous. I didn't even think I could eat enough food to make it worth it etc. etc. Then at a later time in our dating life I told him that flowers were a waste of money too. They're expensive and they die in a couple of days. I told him if he were to buy me flowers to go to COSTCO and get them there cause they're cheaper. Are you seeing where I'm going with this???

Little by little I think I was killing my husband's desire to be romantic. I think the final straw for him was our first married Valentine's Day. He surprised me and took me away for the night. He had chocolates and flowers in the hotel waiting for me. It really was so sweet BUT all I could think about was how and where he was getting the money to do everything. Despite my attempts to hide my anxiety he saw right through me and his excitement left and I think he probably vowed to never do that again.

So now it's nine years later. After all those years of telling him what NOT to get me for my birthday or whatever the holiday I find myself wishing he DID get me something. We celebrated Valentine's on the 13th this year to avoid the crowd the next day. I decided to surprise Koki. I thought that since I took the fun out of the holiday that I would bring it back. The boys and I went to his work and first had a random lady take a Valentine gift into his office. Then we decorated his car with hearts and left a candygram. He was so surprised. It was fun doing it too. We went on our date and had a really good time being just the two of us.

On Valentine's Day we had a discussion about past holidays, gifts, and surprises. I told him that I wanted to take back everything I had ever said and that it would be nice to be surprised once in a while. As the night went on I started to get sadder and MADDER cause I realized he didn't do anything for me. My method of anger is the silent treatment. So there was a whole lot of silence in the Cline home Saturday night. Sunday after church we retalked about Valentine's and my husband couldn't say sorry enough. He said he wouldn't do that again and that the next time we celebrate Valentine's I better just wait cause it's going to be awesome. We kissed and made up and all was well in our home again.

On Monday I woke up and went into the bathroom and this was what I saw...

It's amazing how something so simple could put such a huge smile on my face. When I went downstairs he had notes all over the house and even made me breakfast.



I really felt like a kid. I was so excited to read all the notes and even more excited that I was eating breakfast that I didn't have to make. Wow, why didn't I have this discussion sooner. Could you imagine what I have been missing out on ;)
Well what's in the past will stay in the past but the future has so many possibilities!!!!!!!

11 comments:

BBC said...

oh my gosh, how sweet is koki! i totally feel your pain too! i always get nervous about the money being spent more than just enjoying the fact that bill wanted to spoil me every so often... i just have to learn and let go! :)

Tami said...

so sweet. i love it.

Lindsay and Mike said...

Very cute!

Brandy said...

That is such a funny story Marion! I love all the notes! How sweet! I hope your next Valentine's Day is great! Hopefully I will see you before then!

kelly said...

i loved this - he has always been so good to you - you deserve it! hope you are doing well! miss you - kel

Jessica Sandberg said...

Oh, so funny, Mar. I think a lot of you rubbed off on me since I started our marriage with the "don'ts" of gift giving. Koki has always been a sweetheart. He really knows how to win your heart. You are one lucky girl! I'm glad you had a good Valentine's weekend.

Ruth Done said...

What a great post! I loved it. Isn't it great to have a man who really loves to make you happy!

T.I.D.S.A.H. said...

Marion - I totally can relate to the whole killing the romance out of our husbands because of STUPID money. Your post made me smile, I have done the same thing, but my husband doesn't listen to me anymore, thank goodness. Koki is such a sweetheart, I knew that before I even read this post. You lucked out and got a Fabulous guy. Love you Mar, Tonya

Jen said...

I love it! You guys are both great. (Maybe I should have Ammon read this post) :)

The Smiths said...

Good for you and good for Koki. That is just awesome! I was laughing as I read and then got choked up when I saw all the signs- so sweet! My fave is the "Will you go out with me. yes, no, maybe." Ha ha! Love you guys!

Tiffany said...

So sweet! Tell Koki to give Mike a few pointers on 'romantic" gifts!