Friday, March 27, 2009

I Love/Hate Wal Mart

So I'm sure I'm like everyone else in my neighborhood counting down the days till Wal Mart is open. It's exciting that there is a possibility that I will only have to travel 15 minutes for all of my basic needs. Today, started out as a lovin' Wal Mart day. I got the boys ready, waited for Jarom to wake up from his nap, and off we went to my favorite one stop shop. I had a lot I needed to get and the idea that I just had to lug my three boys into one store made me happy. I drove down in the best mood and then I got to the parking lot.

I felt a little like Dr.Jekel and Mr. Hyde. Immediately the mood started to change. I went from aisle to aisle to aisle trying to find a decent parking spot where I didn't have to walk 10 miles with my 3 boys to get to the store (so a little exaggeration but when you're in a bad mood everything gets exaggerated)! Things got a little better once I hit the store. I had a little under an hour to get in and get out. Usually that is pretty impossible for me cause I go down random aisles and see things that I hadn't even thought of getting. Today was sandals for the boys. On my was to get diapers was the shoe department and the thought ," Oh yeah the boys need summer shoes." So into the shoe department I went. Then finally I looked down at my watch and I was doing good 45 minutes down and all I needed to do was check out.

I headed towards the check out aisles and uh oh I felt another mood swing...is there seriously like 6 people in each line waiting to check out AND with tons and tons of stuff in their carts too. What in the world, it's 2:30 in the afternoon!!! I find a line and wait patiently for my turn. Luckily the line I was waiting in had toys so the two older boys were occupied. Finally it was my turn. I looked down at the clock. Phew, I was only going to be about 5 minutes behind. I got my checkbook out and starting thumbing through, No checks. WHAT!?!! I looked again and luckily one unused check was stuck to a used one. So I wrote my check and I felt a smile come back on my face until the lady asked for my ID. Sure, let me just pull that out...NO WALLET! What in the world???? At this point I was sweating. I asked if they could use my social to which she politely declined (hey, a girl's gotta try right?). I could feel the blood boiling. What can I do? She said, " Oh well you can run home and we can save this right here for you when you get back!" Gee lady what a great solution, NOT!! If I didn't live in another country that may be a good idea but I do and that solution stinks. So option #2, pick and choose what you absolutely need and buy it with the cash you have. So that's what I had to do and just so I can complain one more time...I had to go in the back of the line and start the whole dumb process over again.

So, remind me why I love this store so much. I am always in defence mode every time I hit that parking lot waiting to rush to the first open parking. I end up spending way more than I intend to every time I go. Oh and you'd think I was waiting in line at an amusement park to buy my groceries.

But even after all that complaining I still find myself excited about the Wal Mart coming closer to me. Go figure. How can a stupid store play with my emotions so much???????

11 comments:

Tami said...

hahaha! i also love/hate Walmart. But mostly love...

Brandy said...

That's a funny story (well kind of) kind of sad! I feel for you! I can barely handle Walmart with one kid! It's the only place I do my grocery shoppping, but they are always out of something I need and I swear I'm going to boycott it and not go back. But, I'm always back there the next week! I am excited for the new one too!

Rachel said...

Wow! It is about time that one finally opened. They were talking about it when we lived out there. And they have the worst parking lots ever. I have my favorite aisle at ours and usually can find a spot. But it took a year to figure out the right aisle! :) I will give it to them, they do have everything in one stop!

Jessica Sandberg said...

You need to come down to El Paso for your love/hate relationship to completely bloom. Our Super Wal-mart is completely crowded all of the time, and when I saw all of the time, I really mean that. I've gone at 12 AM and have had to fight crowds and stand in line for about 15 minutes. Half of the people that go are from across the border, that's why there are so many people. And the worst part is the parking is on an incline, so you push your super loaded cart uphill to get to your car, which stinks if you're nine months preggos pushing your cart containing a 1 month supply of food, your 25 pound 2-year old and your 40 pound 5-year old! But same as you, I still love Wal-mart!

Jobi Niu said...

OH MY GOSH! That totally sounds like me and my boys.. There is not one time that I don't walk out of there sweating regardless what the weather is outside! I was laughing so hard when you said you live in another country.. ha ha ha Yes, I'm right there with you wanting that Wal-MArt in Saratoga open up.

Anonymous said...

Good ol' Walmart...don't you love lugging the kiddos around to do all the simple things - that makes it 10 times more complicated! You are hilarious and such a good writer! Love walmart but with this couponing thing I have started going to smiths and albertsons!

Rheanna said...

I think we all have a love/hate relationship with Walmart, that's how they keep us faithful customers...we're always convinced that our next trip out there will be better than the last ;o) My last was a good one, so I'm afraid to go again and jinx myself!

Kawa Rangers said...

That sounds like a nightmare. It sounds like your kids were pretty good through it all though. I'm not going to lie; I'm really excited for this walmart to open.

Ruth Done said...

I love how they have 10 billion check out lanes and only 4 are open with lines to the back of the store!!!! AHHHHHHH! What would we do without good old Wally world?

kelly said...

love it! i did that once, then i finally went home and got my card, came back - IT got declined! the checker thought i was a total idiot...which i was because i forgot to deposit my paycheck. lovely. miss you!

Amy @MoMomma said...

Maybe all of us EM Girls can hit the wal mart together and amuse one anothers boys while we wait in line! I swear I too (like you and Jobi) always leave there cranky and almost sweating (and I only have one boy!) LOL I'm sure I'll run into you at the saratoga springs location soon after it opens!