Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mr. and Mrs. Cline


Rememeber doodling in high school the name of the guy you liked on EVERYTHING!!! When I met Koki back in the summer of '96 that's exactly what I did. I wrote about him, talked about him, dreamed about him. My journal is full of "Koki this.." and "Koki that." We didn't date back then. As a matter of fact he didn't even know I liked him. It was a secret crush I guess. Sometimes I'll remind him of things we did and he'll have no clue but it meant the world to me. Like one time he asked if I wanted to eat lunch with him. I remember getting butterflies and so excited that I would be sitting right next to him. It would be a great story if that would of marked our first date but he doesn't even remember. What a jerk j/k!!!!

In 2000 there was a poster sale going on in the Wilk at BYU. I was actually there buying a poster for my boyfriend when I saw Koki. We started talking, maybe flirting :) and the next thing I knew I committed to go dance in the BYU Luau that year just so I could see him at practice every Saturday. That first Saturday practice was so funny. Practices started really early in the morning so most people literally rolled out of bed and showed up. Not me!!!! I got up early did my hair and make-up and found an outfit that allowed me to dance but also looked cute. It worked too cause that night he asked me out on our first date. Score!!! We went to a movie with like 10 of his friends (he was too nervous to go out with just me and him). Little by little we started hanging out more and more and then on Feb 10, 2000
we had our "DTR" talk (define the relationship). I had already broken up with my boyfriend and he was suppose to go on a date with someone else. He asked how I felt and I said I'd be really sad if he went out with other girls and so it began.

(BYU '00)

We had fun dating in college. I loved having him walk me to class and wait for me when class was done. I was really shy before I dated Koki. I hardly went out and really kept to myself. In fact I hated walking through the WILK (cafeteria) at BYU cause there were always tons and tons of people that I didn't know. Koki was completely opposite. He stopped and said hi to EVERYONE! He was always wanting to do something. It's funny how much he's rubbed off on me. I'm glad cause he actually gave me a whole different experience in college then I was use to.

(Luau 2000)

We dated for a long time, 2 1/2 years. In Utah years it's comparable to eternity LOL. In the summer of '02 I was at a family reunion in Hawaii. We already knew we were getting married in August but he hadn't given me my ring yet. One day my family was being really funny. They told me that Koki sent me a video and I needed to go watch it. My aunt works at BYU Hawaii so we went to a classroom and the video was being played on the big projection screen. It was pictures of Koki and I throughout the 2 years of dating. After, I was given a note that I needed to go to Temple Beach for a gift he sent. When I got to the beach there was a path of roses. I followed them to a table that had apple cider, chocolate cake, and more roses. Then Koki came from behind me and gave me a big hug. He wrote a song for me that he sang and at the end of the song he asked me to marry him. It was awesome.

(The Proposal)

This is our 7th wedding anniversary. I'm excited to continue my life's journey with the man of my dreams. I can't believe it was 13 years ago that I first met him. Time sure flies when your having fun and when you have someone great to live and share every moment with. Happy Anniversary to us. I love you honey!!!
(August 22, 2002)

13 comments:

BBC said...

how fun to read about your courtship! you guys are such an amazing couple! happy anniversary!

Cheryl said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love reading real life love stories!! Your pics are super cute!

Lindsay and Mike said...

What a fun story! You guys are great!

Tami said...

happy anniversary! loved this post. glad me and brent were there for some of the history. your reception was still one of the best i've ever been to. and Koki - SMOOTH. i'd never heard the proposal story...

Jobi Niu said...

ha ha ha what a fun story! You guys are so dang cute. CONGRATS. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Ruth Done said...

Oh my goodness!!! that proposal is so romantic. I got chills just reading it. Thanks for the post, it was great!

Cindi said...

What a great story. Congratulations. I hope you had a great day.

Tiffany said...

You... shy I dont believe it! Congrats on 7 years!

Amy @MoMomma said...

AWE!! You guys are the best couple ever. Happy Anniversary!

Kelli Proctor said...

Oh my goodness Marion! That is the cutest story ever in the world! I LOVE it! YOu guys are super cutest!

Brandy said...

What a cute story! I didn't know all the fun details! I can't imagine you being shy(lol)! I'm glad you guys found each other!

The Rogers said...

Hey guys! We miss you! I agree with everyone else, this is a great love story:) Marion, you look gorgeous!

Tori :) said...

You know what my 1st memory of you and Koki is? I came with Sei to someone's farewell dinner before we eloped... I wanna say it was Samson's maybe?? Anyway... You were sitting on a couch and Koki had his head in your lap. You were plucking his eyebrows. LOL It was very cute. :)
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to a super sweet couple. Love y'all!!!!