Saturday, April 24, 2010

Nothin' Like College Graduation

Yesterday my little bro graduated from college. He's been indecisive about walking for months. It was mainly my parents pushing the issue that he should walk because it's a huge accomplishment and he'll only get the chance once. I think he was so torn cause he's been to our college graduations and lets face it they are so B..O..R..I..N..G!!!!!

I remember when I graduated it was held in a field house. We walked in from one side of the track onto the stage to get our diplomas and then we exited to the other side where no one could see if you walked back into the ceremony or left to go eat. I opted option #2. I'd say I was sorry but it wouldn't be sincere. For me I was pregnant, it was an 8 AM graduation, and I had no ties to the other hundred students I was graduating with. I walked so I could have some random professor give me my diploma and to show my future children the pictures and proof that mommy does have a college degree. Oh, I should probably admit that the monetary gifts for walking in a college graduation were pretty enticing too.

My brother followed my bad example and left after he got his diploma. Let's blame it on his pregnant wife and 11 nieces and nephews who were making a scene crying, falling off their chairs, and laughing at each other. Being a spectator I think he did everyone else a favor by leaving with his LOUD family. I will say when we went out of the ceremony there were several other graduates that beat us to the punch.

Koki later told me the main reason he didn't walk after he got his masters was me. He said he asked if I wanted him to and I said something like," Oh no! Please." I realize I should probably get a more mature perspective on this occasion. My goal is to try to be ready and willing by the time my kids graduate from college. I have some time!

The graduate and me.


Traditional family picture

Waiting patiently in the ceremony
Gideon showing his moves at Jay's house.

Papa and Isaac

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

You're Awesome :) Love the graduation tradition!

Lindsay and Mike said...

I love the idea of leaving early! Why didn't I think of that?

Annika said...

I agree with you it is dang boring! lol yes, I'm reading blogs and commenting. I know shocker! Congrat's to your brother! (and you for not having to stay the whole time)