Monday, September 22, 2008

Phone Call to Heaven

These last few months Koki and I have been explaining to the boys that they have a sister in Heaven whose name is Joy. We have taken them to the cemetery several times but I'm pretty sure they don't understand the concept. We recently brought out a keepsake box we have of hers to make her more real to them. Gideon will make reference to his sister every so often.

Yesterday as we were getting ready for church Gideon was just talking my ear off about the most random things. I was trying to pay attention to everything he was saying but you all know how it is when one of your kids goes off on a story. His story was about some dragon and how it was scary and then there was a dinosaur, etc, etc, etc. So, Gideon was beginning to really get into his story telling and I gave the occasional, "Ooooh...Uh huh." Followed by a couple of nods. Then out of no where came the following conversation...

Gideon: " Mom, can I call my sister Joy?"

Me: "No son, Joy is in Heaven."

Gideon: "Well can I call her?"

Me: "No, the only person we talk to in Heaven is Heavenly Father and we talk to him by praying."

Gideon: "Oh...well Jesus is in Heaven too. Can I see Joy?"

Me: "Not yet."

Gideon: "When?"

Me: " When Jesus comes "

Gideon: "And it's going to be really dark."


I love being a parent and having these kind of experiences. The conversation continued and Gideon asked some really good questions. I hope I answered them right. There's nothing like being drilled about basic gospel principles from your four year old :)

16 comments:

Tiffany said...

Our kids can teach us so much! I was not aware that your family had lost a baby girl.I am sure she is proud of you and Koki and the family that you guys are raising on this earth.

We are so blessed to have the knowledge of eternal families!

Rachel said...

What a sweet story. It is amazing the things they can teach us, and even remind us of. It is so good that you are keeping her memory in your family. It is so good for the boys to know about her. I know she watches over your sweet family. Your own personal guardian angel. And like the previous comment, she is gushing with pride that you are her parents and that your family is hers, forever. Thank you for sharing this story!

Rheanna said...

Children look at things so differently, I love learning from my children. I love that families are eternal-it's such a blessing.

Irene Summers said...

Alright MAR...I checked it, I read it, I LOVE IT! I am really impressed with your blogging abilities. UM...fancy background! And, where did you learn to do all those things to your pictures? Slide show?, Collage? Someone may have a little too much time on their hands :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing!
That was a beautiful little story!

Mel said...

You guys are great parents - you both amaze me.

Hope all is well this week. It was good having you all over on Friday. How did the Goodie Bars turn out? Hope they were winners.

See you soon.

Lindsay and Mike said...

What a sweet story. Mike's parents lost their first child too. She was born at 26 weeks (and back in 1970, there wasn't a whole lot they could do) & she only lived a few hours. I always like to think about her & wonder what she's like. I guess, someday, I'll get to figure it out!

I'll bet Joy has your cute laugh! :)

The Smiths said...

I love that story! Thanks for sharing something so dear to your family's heart! So sweet! Joy's day is coming up next month, right?

Cindi said...

Little children are so precious. No wonder Jesus loves them so. Conversations like that make all the messes worth it.

So sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Marion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marion said...

Thanks everyone. I wasn't expecting all the sweet responses.

Joy's birthday is October 3rd. It's amazing how fast time goes by.

Kawa Rangers said...

That is so sweet. What a good kid.

Amy @MoMomma said...

Awe :) What a great story! Thanks for sharing it with everyone. I hope I can teach my little guy about the gospel as well as you've taught yours!!

Sara said...

Thank you for sharing that sweet story! I think about you guys all the time and that experience you went through. You have all been a strength to me, even all these years later!

Tori :) said...

Thinking of you today...

Jessica Sandberg said...

Mar, you are soo popular! I haven't read your blog in a while and I came across this entry. What a sweet story. It was really good to see you in SLC last month. I miss living close to you. :(